Monday, April 7, 2014

Week 36 / Coming in Like a Lion

Hello Dear Family,

This week we taught one of our investigators that I have never taught before until now. He was very keen on not giving up his other beliefs. He told us some of the things he was concerned about or that contrasted with his own traditions. We addressed them and the Spirit was working with us. We began to teach, to promise, to testify... The Spirit just made me want to jump up and do a dance. We asked him if he would pray to know if this was the right church. Right then as we asked him to pray, another thought entered my head - and I asked him instead to pray right now with us, to kneel down and ask Heavenly Father with us there.  I told him before we did this, that he would feel the Spirit, and that he would know that it is true. We knelt down, and we prayed and the Lord answered just like we told this man He would. The Spirit moved like waves from the ocean. Our investigator kind of stumbled out of the room in bewilderment afterwards. The Lord hears and answers, sometimes softly and in his time and sometimes swiftly and without doubt.

I think we are doing good, here. We went to do service for a non-member's mother where she hadn't done her garden in 10 years. The roots were deep and everywhere. We ploughed it like crazy and worked on it for several hours. I miss working in the garden. I actually really like it. Afterwards this sweet mother made us popcorn and we taught her a lesson. She was more receptive because she trusted us, she knew we were only wanting to serve her and do good for her. This is important in doing missionary work. I feel we need to be always looking for service opportunities to show we are only here for the people, to help and build them up. I love it, I really do.

I heard that General Conference was amazing! I am excited next week to watch it. I got to watch some of the Saturday session at a in-active members house and it was truly rad. I loved what was said and I had a lot of personal eye openers that just put me in awe about our Beloved Father in Heaven. Here are a few of my thoughts:

I was reading a beautiful talk given in a last conference entitled "Ye are My Hands" by President Dieter F. Uchtdorf. It was about a statue of Jesus that lost His Hands in a City Square during World War 2.  The townspeople loved this statue, it was a symbol of their faith and their love of God. In the end the hands were never repaired and today below the statue there is a plaque that reads 'You are My Hands'. Think about that. Such a beautiful way to live. 'Our hands can become His hands; our eyes, His eyes; our heart, His heart.'

I want to be a guide to the path way to our 'home'. On the Saturday session it talked a lot about our promises with God. What we must do to keep and uphold our calling in life. How to keep the Spirit in our homes. To feel this unconditional love from God at all times, to be an example. Loving God will influence everything we do in life. It will be paramount in our lives. It will lead us to become our full and capable selves. Every time I am in a lesson and I feel though it is spiraling, my mind goes straight to thinking -how can I just show who we are teaching- that God loves them. I am filled with God's love for the People of Slovenija. He does care about His children and He will always, always have a way to help. We are all going along roads and pathways, and it is often that we all take wrong turns, and before we go too far we must realize and speedily put ourselves in reverse. We can ask why, we can blame others. But really we need to realize we are meant to do tough things, we are meant to do hard things, and make wrong choices so that we can learn how to become better. There is such beauty in the hard, there is such beauty in what we are all becoming and recognize what we already are - what has been in us all along. We all have a divine nature and we must all recognize it. We are God's children. I hope I can love at full capacity, I hope that I can see the good in everything. Even the past, even for the future. It is guiding us to our final happiness. I notice so many people out here are so hard on themselves. We all want perfection, we want this wholeness of knowing we are doing everything correct, never to be sloping downward on a wrong path. Each day that passes we become weary of our mistakes and the little things we forgot to do or could have done better. Saying to ourselves "Why aren't you trying? Why aren't you loving? Why aren't you here or there or everywhere... breathing, living, loving God, loving His Children? It can be overwhelming. But we need to understand that if we aren't doing everything we know to be right -we can start now - little by little. That is the beauty of Heavenly Fathers plan, You can start again, and again, and again. You can be who you want to be. This life is for growing, about learning how to go about doing things, about learning what we truly desire. We are okay. At the end of it all - God will have His opened arms waiting for us and once we get into His fold he will say, "I told you it would be okay, I told you it would be alright, I told you... I told you  that you were worth it."  Don't forget this. Don't forget who you are. What you are becoming. You are queens and kings. This Gospel doesn't just make us a lighted matchstick in the dark, but makes us a sun... A sun that will take away any darkness any shadow of doubt. Grow your faith, grow a comprehension of Heavenly Father's and the Savior's love for you. If you feel His love, if you let it take you, you are then already changing. Already becoming what God intended you to be.


I love you so much family, I love who you are and who you are becoming. Every time I am in a car here or in a train and we go under a tunnel... I hold my breath... I hold it for so long and hard and I know it's such a childlike thing but I wish and only pray that I will be with you forever. That is my biggest wish and my biggest desire. Family matters so much to me. I love my family who reside all around the world. I am excited to meet my brothers and sisters I haven't met yet. I am excited to get to know Ivy, Laurel, and Parker again. I am excited to share tears, to share laughs, and just to be able to say "That is my brother. These are my sisters". I can't wait to jump into Mom and Dad's arms. You are going to have to catch me!
 
I am grateful for my time here in Slovenija. For the opportunities that I have to grow and understand more fully each day just what our lives are about, to understand how we can have the fullest of happiness, found within the walls of our church, our temples, our Books of Mormon, our prayers, our homes. We have a lot to look forward to, but we must remember it's in these moments- that will echo throughout the eternities. Let us be the hands of our Savior to touch each others lives.

Like what President Rowe told us this week during our zone conference, ''How does God see us?" If we were to put in a category of an animal?  What would we be as young missionaries? We would be Young Lions. We have the inheritance of becoming the kings of the jungle... in the kingdom of God's jungle, that is. Let us be Bold, let us be Courageous, let us Roar.

My best wishes and prayers go to you. Love you. Have a great week and remember who you are.

Love,
Sestra Cuthbert

1 comment: